Student Visa and Permits

Apply to study in Canada as an international student, extend your study permit and find out about working while you study or after you graduate.

Eligibility requirements
You can study in Canada if you:

are enrolled at a designated learning institution (DLI)
prove you have enough money to pay for your:
tuition fees
living expenses for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada and
return transportation for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada
obey the law, have no criminal record and get a police certificate (if required)
are in good health and get a medical exam (if required)
prove to an officer that you will leave Canada when your study permit expires
Get your study permit faster through the Student Direct Stream
Do you live in China, India, Morocco, Pakistan, the Philippines, Senegal or Vietnam? You might be able to get your study permit faster by applying online through the Student Direct Stream.

If you want to study for 6 months or less
Due to COVID-19, if you want to study in Canada for 6 months or less, you’re now required to

get a study permit and
attend a DLI with a COVID-19 readiness plan approved by its province or territory
You won’t be able to travel to Canada if you don’t have a study permit and your DLI isn’t on the approved list.

Your responsibilities
While studying in Canada you must:

make progress towards completing your program
respect any conditions listed on your study permit
stop studying if you no longer meet the requirements and
leave Canada when your permit expires
Depending on your case, there may be conditions on your study permit such as:

if you’re allowed to work in Canada
if you’re allowed to travel within Canada
the date you must stop studying
People who don’t need a permit to study in Canada
Most foreign nationals need a study permit to study in Canada. The cases below are exceptions.

Short-term studies (6 months or less)
Due to COVID-19, the requirements to enter Canada as a student have changed, even for short-term studying. Find out what you need if you want to study in Canada for 6 months or less.

Family or staff of foreign representatives
You may not need a study permit if you’re a family or staff member of a foreign representative to Canada that has been accredited by Global Affairs Canada (GAC). Your embassy can contact GAC to find out if you need one.

Members of foreign armed forces
If you’re a member of a foreign armed force on official duties in Canada, you don’t need a study permit. If your family members, including minor children, want to study in Canada, they may need one.

Registered Indians in Canada
You don’t need a study permit if you have Registered Indian status in Canada, even if you’re a citizen of another country.

Minor children in Canada
Minor children don’t need a study permit if:

they’re in kindergarten
they’re refugees or refugee claimants
their parents are refugees or refugee claimants or
they’re in pre-school, primary or secondary school, and they’re already in Canada with a parent who has a work or study permit
When minor children reach the age of majority (18 or 19 years old, depending on the province or territory), they must apply for a study permit if they want to keep studying. Learn more about minors studying in Canada.

Why get a study permit if you don’t need one?
There are 2 reasons you may want to get a study permit even if you don’t need one:

You may be able to continue studying (as long as you meet the requirements)
You may be able to work on-campus or off-campus
Examples of this are:

if you’re studying for less than 6 months, but are looking to study in a longer program or
if you’re the child of a parent who’s authorized to work or study in Canada, but you will soon turn 18 (and will no longer be a minor)
If you apply for a study permit even though you don’t need one, you should include a letter explaining why you want one with your application.

1. Continue studying
If you already have a study permit and your study situation changes (for example, you want to study for more than 6 months or apply to a longer study program), you can continue studying in Canada while your permit is valid. If you apply to extend your permit and it expires while we process your application, you can continue studying because you have maintained your status and are authorized to study.

However, if you don’t have a study permit already, you would need to stop studying or wait until you get a study permit to start or continue your studies.

An example of this is if you’re taking prerequisite classes required for a longer study program. You may not need a study permit for your prerequisite classes, but you may need one for your full study program.

In this case, you should get a study permit even though you don’t need one right away. If you don't, you may not be able to start your longer study program, depending on whether or not your study permit is processed in time.

2. Work on- or off-campus
If you have a study permit and you’re registered as a full-time student at a DLI, you may be able to work on-campus or off-campus. If so, your study permit will include a condition that says you’re allowed to work while studying.

If you don’t have a study permit, you can’t work while you’re studying in Canada. In this case, you need to apply for a work permit.

Document navigation
display, such as rich text, images, videos and more. You can also collect and store information from your site visitors using input elements like custom forms and fields.

Be sure to click Sync after making changes in a collection, so visitors can see your newest content on your live site. Preview your site to check that all your elements are displaying content from the right collection fields.